Week 5: Republic to Empire
T, 2/12: Consequences of Conquest
- WC, 120-125
Trial of Verres
- The Gracchan Reforms
- Excerpts, Life of Julius Caesar
- History in the News post: Are We Romans?
- QUIZ #4 ON READING ASSIGNED 2/7 and 2/12 AT THE BEGINNING OF CLASS
R, 2/14 Augustus
- WC, pp. 122-131
- Sources, “The Life of Augustus” pp. 97-100
- The Deeds of the Divine Augustus
Class will not meet today due to instructor being out of town at a conference. Instead, you will all watch a documentary on Augustus and post your thoughts on the following question:
*** Was Augustus responsible for the fall of the Roman Republic?*** Use examples from the class lectures, the textbook, and especially the documentary to support your response.